Monday, January 20, 2014

New Running Coach

I am one Happy Turtle!!
 So I have been thinking about finding a running coach to help me with the mental aspect of this sport. Yes running is more mental then physical. Most of you know that I belong to a local running club, The Irish Snug. Well a couple weeks ago I was talking with one of the runners, Stephon, and to my surprise he is a running coach for Teams in Training with the Rock & Roll Marathon series. much to my delight he has agreed to help train me for my first marathon.

So on January 11 I met with Stephon to do our first training run. After about a 45 minute discussion on shoes, breathing, my pace, and lots of other topics we started out. 10 miles later this Turtle was one happy runner. I PR my 5k, 10K, and 10 mile run. I finished 10 miles in 1:50:28. I honestly can not believe how far I have come in just 2 years.

2 years ago I started Couch to 5k and in February 2012, I ran my first 5k in 45 minutes with an average pace of 15 minutes. This weekends run was an average pace of 11 minutes.

I know, I know I probably should not be calling myself a turtle anymore, but I have to admit I love Turtles. I always have. Especially after watching Finding Nemo. I am fascinated by them. I probably fell even more in love with them when I was fortunate to swim with some turtles in Hawaii. 
This encounter was also around the same time I made the decision to start living a healthier lifestyle. So turtles really have brought me inspiration and I will probably always associate my new healthier lifestyle with turtles.

So new coach, new plans, new fuel - yup we are moving forward at a Turtle's pace towards my first marathon.

Thanks for joining me on this journey!  Shari

No comments:

Post a Comment