2.5 years ago I made a decision that changed my life forever. I had always had "Run a Half Marathon" on my bucket list. Well I was looking at turning 40 was weighing over 200 pounds (I actually stopped weighing myself at 206 lbs) and knew that if I was ever going to accomplish this goal I better start now. A friend of mine introduced me to Couch to 5K and in November 2011, I started the program. The closer I got towards the end of the program the more nervous I got. But as most of you know once I make a goal, I will do what ever it takes to achieve that goal.
| ||
| Valentine's Day 5k 2012 |
So 2 years ago this past weekend I ran my first 5k, the Valentine's Day 5K 2102. Well let's correct that statement - I ran most of it, but I will admit I to walk part of my first 5K. My time 45:10. That first race was bitter cold and I had to go buy running pants just for the race. It was not how I dreamed my first race would go, but crossing that finish line is a memory I will never forget!!
I look forward to running this race every year to see how far I have come with my running. I know I have improved, I can feel it every time I hit the pavement. But to see the difference in the time and is truly just amazing. This past Sunday I ran the Valentine's Day 5k 2014 in 33:07. I was trying so hard to get under 33 minutes and I know I will get there just not this weekend. I have been fighting a cold and the weather was once again bitter cold at race time. During the race I tried to take a drink of water at the Mile 2 water station started a coughing fit and a nice patch of ice slowed me down right before the finish line. But I will conquer the 33:00 minute mark!!
So 2 years, 4 Half Marathons, Numerous 5ks, 2 Bolder Boulders, and 3 10 mile Races and a Virtual Triathlon Sprint, and climbing a Colorado 14er. I will admit that I am a runner. Do I love it - no, not all the time. I love the adrenaline I get on race day and I love the feeling of accomplishment when I cross the finish line. But there are a lot of times in training when I could just quit. But I have learned one thing - races are not completed on race day, they are made during the struggles and training prior to race day.
I can not imagine what my life would be like if I had not made the decision 2.5 years ago to start running. Along with that decision came the choice to live a healthier lifestyle. So I made changes to my diet, took up yoga, cross fit, biking. I have lost 65 pounds and have kept it off give or take 3 pounds.
So 95 days towards my first marathon. I am slowly moving in the right direction. Goal has been set, the challenge is on. I can do this!!
| Valentines Day 5k 2014 |
Turtle Hugs and Hearts Everyone!!
Happy Valentine's Day - Love Shari

Great blog, Shari...Very inspirational!!
ReplyDelete